Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why do we suffer?

This was the title of an article in Runner's World this last month and I cannot answer such questions! This past weekend Jace and I ran a half marathon in Ashton, ID. It was a great course and perfect temperature - I would totally run it again - so if anyone wants to do it with us next year.... One of the great things (but also one of the worst) was that the first 3 miles of the course are on an old rail bed right next to the river with the sun poking over the ridge and at about 45 degrees the temperature was good for running. Then the next couple miles were along the road and then it opened up into wheat, hay, ect. fields and had just small rollers. The temperature at the end of the race was only about 70 degrees and perfect. It really was great, unfortunately my sufferage started 1.5 miles into the race when I sprained my ankle! Pretty ridiculous - of course I cried and hobbled and cried and hobbled and cried and hobbled some more! Luckily my sister-in-law was right behind me and helped me out. As I calmed down some I remembered a story I had read about a lady who had broke her femur while running a marathon and still finished the race. So what did I do? At the first aid station I took several Tylenols and finished the race. So I guess the answer last Saturday to why do we suffer was for the beautiful scenery of Ashton, ID! It wasn't too swollen after the race but if you check out my left ankle you can see it a bit.

2 opinions:

Kelly A. said...

Ouch! You are brave!!

Maren and Blake said...

I can't believe I am just now seeing this. You are such a super woman for continuing the race. I probably would have done ANYTHING to stop running. I am going to take your advice and set a goal to run a 10K next spring. Maybe even a half marathon. We will see.